Our history

About the lodge

The Lodge was consecrated on the 23rd December 1876 at the Lewisham Hotel Slaithwaite, by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master of West Yorkshire, W.Bro Thomas Wm. Tew. Meetings continued to be held here until 1880.

An interesting note here is that Clement Wood who was the landlord and later became a member, was the father of the late Haydn Wood, the composer of “Roses of Picardy” and other well-known songs. The foundation stone for the present Masonic Hall was laid on 1st October 1879. The first meeting in the new building was held on Wednesday 21st April 1880.

Social events

Several social functions are held throughout the year in which our ladies take an active part. The principle event being the Ladies evening when we honour our ladies at a dinner and dance. A toast to the ladies is proposed and the Worshipful Master’s Lady responds on their behalf.

Once a year the Worshipful Master invites the widows of former members to be his guests at a Sunday Lunch.

There is also a Christmas lunch to which children are invited and Santa pays us a visit.

Our history

Founders of the lodge

Br Joseph Crowther –  Huddersfield Lodge No 290

Br Joseph Crowther – Huddersfield Lodge No 290

Founders of the lodge
Br Clement Wood – Lodge of Peace No 149

Br Clement Wood – Lodge of Peace No 149

Founders of the lodge
Br Enoch O Taylor  – Huddersfield Lodge No 290

Br Enoch O Taylor – Huddersfield Lodge No 290

Founders of the lodge